New Sanctuary Coalition NYC will hold the #PeoplesPressConference in Foley Square on Friday May 11 at 10a.m., just outside of ICE regional headquarters at 26 Federal Plaza. Statements and testimonials will be read by people and their families who have survived the violence of deportation.
We will hear the stories of those on the front lines of liberty, immigrants leading the fight for their own liberation, who are in turn fighting for the emancipation of the entire world from the tyranny of borders.
Photo by Erik McGregor of the NYC Jericho Walk. More here.
Around the country, people participated in the #NationalJerichoWalk on May 1st and 3rd. Check out more at the links below:
- Boulder, CO (video and article)
- Burlington, MA (Photos)
- Denver, CO (Video)
- Milwaukee, WI (photos)
- New York City, NY (Photos and article)
- Newark, NJ (Photos & Video)
- Oklahoma City, OK (Video)
- Washington, D.C. (Video)
- Williston, VT (see slideshow below and article)
- Other cities: Pittsburgh, PA; Richmond, CA; San Francisco, CA; Savannah, GA
Photos from Williston, VT Jericho Walk on May 3rd
Find a #NationalJerichoWalk near you via the list below (Click on the contact person’s name for their email). If your city or town isn’t listed, there’s still time to organize your own Jericho Walk: use this toolkit, flyer template and please alert us to the event details. We’ll update this list with new information as we receive it.
Tuesday, May 1st:
- Manchester, NH: 8:30 a.m. @ 275 Chestnut Street [Facebook event listing] Contact: Maggie Fogarty, American Friends Serivce Committee, 603-988-7115
- Richmond, CA: 9:30 a.m. -11 a.m. @ West County Detention Facility, 5555 Giant Highway Richmond, CA [Facebook event listing] Contact: Contact: Dani Gabriel, Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity, 510.332.0631
- San Francisco, CA: 2:30 p.m. @ 630 Sansome St. [Facebook event listing] Contact: Dani Gabriel, Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity, 510.332.0631
Thursday, May 3rd:
- Boulder, CO: 12:00 p.m. @ Unitarian Universalist Church of Boulder, 5001 Pennsylvania Ave. [Facebook event listing] Contact: Jennifer Piper, American Friends Service Committee, 720-301-1858
- Burlington, MA: 2:00 p.m. @ 10 District Ave., Burlington, MA 01803 [Facebook event listing] Contact: Will Green, (774) 212-0900
- Denver, CO: 12:00 p.m. @ Temple Micah and Park Hill United Methodist Church, 5209 Montview Blvd. [Facebook event listing] Contact: Jennifer Piper, American Friends Service Committee, 720-301-1858
- Milwaukee, WI: 12:00 p.m. @ ICE Office, 310 East Knapp Street [Facebook event listing] Contact: Shana Harvey, Milwaukee New Sanctuary Movement, 414-909-3436
- Newark, NJ: 2:00 p.m. @ 970 Broad Street. [Facebook event listing] Contact: Chia-Chia Wang, American Friends Service Committee, 973-854-0402
- New York, NY: 11 a.m. @ 26 Federal Plaza [Facebook event listing] Contact: Judith
- Pittsburgh, PA: 2:30 p.m. @ ICE office, Corner of Sidney and Sarah Streets in the south side, two blocks from the Hot Metal Bridge. [Facebook event listing] Contact: Rev. Linda Theophilus, 412-401-5742 (cell)
- Savannah, GA: 11:00 a.m. @ 1 East Bay Street. Contact: Rev. Susan Karlson, 347-466-0864
- Williston, Vermont: 10:00 a.m. @ Federal Government Office – Law Enforcement Headquarters. 188 Harvest Ln [Facebook event listing] Contact: Melissa Battah, Vermont Interfaith Action
- Washington, DC: 4:30 p.m. @ National ICE headquarters, 500 12th St. SW, Washington DC [Facebook event listing] Contact: Alexa
The New Sanctuary Coalition of NYC is planning a National Day of Action on May 3, 2018 to stand in solidarity with all those opposing deportation and detention. Starting at the same time across time zones, groups across the country will organize a peaceful action known as the Jericho Walk.
The Jericho Walk is a silent interfaith prayer and act of solidarity. The walk draws inspiration from the Battle of Jericho, in which the community marched around the city of Jericho seven times, causing the city walls to fall. The Jericho Walk of today is a silent, peaceful, and prayerful walk to bring down the walls of our unjust immigration system and is open to people of all or no faiths. The New Sanctuary Coalition has organized Jericho Walks nearly every Thursday since 2011, typically surrounding the federal immigration buildings in New York City. Now we want to encourage Jericho Walks across the country where other immigrant activists and families have been targeted.
Join us! If you’re interested in organizing a Jericho Walk on May in your community, please let us know and download Jericho Walk Toolkit to start planning.
NEW YORK, NY: In anticipation of the upcoming hearing of his First Amendment case against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Ravi Ragbir will give a sermon at Judson Memorial Church and lead a community action. The event will highlight the impact of the Supreme Court’s recent decision to allow indefinite detention (Jennings v. Rodriguez). Continue reading
On Sunday March 4th at 5pm, Ravi Ragbir will preach at Park Avenue Christian Church, 1010 Park Avenue at 85th Street, New York, NY 10028 . Continue reading